If you have any questions at all about your recent purchase, please don't hesitate to get in touch with Gemma. In the meantime though, you may find an answer to your question here in our FAQs:
- Like a good pair of leather shoes the Sumi Pen will soften and become even more flexible with use. It will adapt to your style of writing and become unique to you. As such, it may take a little time for your pen to ‘settle in’.
- We recommend you flush your Sumi pen thoroughly before use. This will remove any oils from the nib which are present during manufacture, and will impede ink flow. Any of the following are good options: our Nib Cleaning Solution, distilled water or water with a touch of dish soap.
- If you are having any problems with your nib 'rail-roading', this is usually down to ink flow issues and residual oil on your nib (see above). Make sure you are writing slowly so that the ink has a chance to catch up with your writing. You will also need to make sure your convertor is always topped up, if the ink starts to run low then you may experience rail-roading with this very ink-hungry nib.
- We recommend using Diamine Inks which have been specifically tested for use with the Sumi pen. We do not recommend using ink cartridges as the ink flow will not keep up with your writing and is likely to result in 'rail roading'.
- When inserting your ink convertor, you need to push it very firmly in - you should hear a click when it attaches, then you need to push it slightly further until you hear another 'click' which is the convertor connecting with the end of the nib feed. This will ensure good contact between the convertor and the feed, and will allow the ink to flow well. If there is any gap between the two then the ink may not flow properly.
- If you are having trouble with your nib slipping, please watch this video which shows you how to set your pen up correctly.
DELIVERY, RETURNS & REPAIRS
- Our standard delivery time for non-custom items is 2 working days (UK) and 7-9 working days (International) although delays may happen due to Covid and Brexit. If you need your order urgently or for a specific date, please contact us first (UK only). Please note that there is a 3 day processing time for all orders and shipping times are calculated from dispatch.
- Our returns policy lasts 30 days. If 30 days have gone by since your purchase, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange, unless your item is faulty. Our return address is:
9 East View Road, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24 1PP
- Our handmade products are made to last a lifetime and we are able to repair or replace every single part of our pens. As such, we offer a complimentary repair service should your pen need a little TLC or you are not happy with the functionality. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to discuss a repair.